Provides access to digital images of Indiana's historic newspapers.
Hoosier State Chronicles is operated by the Indiana State Library and funded by the U.S. Institute of Museum and Library Services under the provisions of the Library Services and Technology Act. The Indiana titles digitized through NDNP are also available at the Library of Congress's Chronicling America, along with over 8 million newspaper pages from around the United States.
IU Media Collections Online includes digitized A/V materials from IU repositories including the Archives of Traditional Music, Moving Image Archive, Archives of African Music and Culture, Kinsey Institute, University Archives, etc.
Image Collections Online features historical photographs and images from Indiana University's institutions: the Lilly Library, the IU Archives, the Archives of African American Music and Culture, the Liberian Collections, and the IU Map Collections.
Independent Voices is a series of digital collections of the alternative press that are complete runs of newspapers, magazines, and journals drawn from special collections of leading academic libraries.
These periodicals were produced by feminists, dissident GIs, campus radicals, Native Americans, anti-war activists, Black Power advocates, Hispanics, LGBT activists, the extreme right-wing press and alternative literary magazines during the latter half of the 20th century.
Here you'll find more than 95,000 digital images that are available for research, with more added every week. The Preservation Imaging Lab scans materials covering a variety of subjects and formats. These digital images constitute only a small percentage of the more than 1.7 million photographs in our collection.
The photographs, documents, and other materials in this collection represent African American History in Indiana from larger cities to rural settlements. Materials date from the early 1800s through the present day.
The Aesculapian Medical Society was established in 1903. African American physicians, dentists, and pharmacists originally banded together in Indianapolis around the turn of the 20th century when the Marion County Medical Society refused admission to blacks. The society shared professional information and established group cohesion and recognition. Members pushed for the admittance of African American doctors and patients into local hospitals, meeting with success in 1953.
Bethel African Methodist Episcopal Church was established in Indianapolis in 1836. As it began to grow it was known as the Indianapolis Station of the African Methodist Episcopal Church. Bethel's church building at 414 West Vermont Street was built in 1869 and was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1991. The church has been traditionally known for its outreach from hosting the nineteenth-century black state conventions to its social programs including an adult day-care, well-baby clinic, and a credit union during the twentieth century. This collection contains photographs, scrapbooks, and manuscript materials from the church. This digital collection was created through an LSTA 2016 Digitization Grant "Bethel A.M.E. Church: Capturing the History of Indianapolis' Oldest African American Church." The digital partnership was a collaboration between IHS, IUPUI University Library (www.ulib.iupui.edu/digitalscholarship), and Bethel A.M.E. Church.
Black History News and Notes was a free quarterly publication from the Indiana Historical Society. The publication included news of upcoming events, book reviews, questions from readers, short articles and information on new acquisitions. Black History News and Notes is now a part of Traces of Indiana and Midwestern History, a quarterly history magazine published by the Indiana Historical Society. It includes articles on the political, social and cultural history of black people in Indiana, in American history and in the Old Northwest.
The Indianapolis School Board of Commissioners voted on a plan to create a segregated high school in 1922 and Crispus Attucks High School opened in 1927 with an enrollment of 1,345 African American students. In addition to its famous 1955 state championship basketball team, Attucks produced many well-known alumni in several professional fields. Attucks flourished as both an academic institution and center for the African American community, and was simultaneously linked with the struggle for civil rights in education. This collection contains photographs and documents relating to the school and its history. Additional images can be found in these related collections below.
The East Asia Heritage Collection contains images, documents, and audio from people who immigrated to Indiana from China (including Hong Kong and Macau), Tibet, Mongolia, North Korea, South Korea, Japan and Taiwan. These materials document the experiences of families who came to the United States seeking new opportunities in work and education.
Flanner House, a social service agency, was founded in 1898. It was the first agency in Indianapolis devoted solely to meeting the social service needs of African-Americans and is nationally recognized for developing groundbreaking programs that foster a spirit of self-reliance. The collection provides insight into this historic organization and its important role in shaping the social and economic landscape of Indianapolis. It's part of an LSTA 2006 Digitization Grant in which IHS partnered with IUPUI. Their Flanner House collection can be viewed here.
Indiana Jewish History is the annual publication of the Indiana Jewish Historical Society, founded in 1972 to preserve and promote an interest in the Hoosier Jewish community. This set is made available through a collaborative effort with the Indiana Jewish Historical Society and through a grant from the Robert and Toni Bader Charitable Foundation. Additional materials are being added to this digital collection through the collecting efforts of the Indiana Jewish Historical Society.
The Indiana LGBTQ Collection provides a glimpse into the public and private lives of gay men and women in Indiana in the late 20th and early 21st centuries. It also reflects the state of LGBTQ activism in Indiana from the time of the AIDS crisis in the 1980s through the achievement of marriage rights in 2014. The collection contains photographs and documents from the Mark A. Lee LGBTQ Collection, Steven L. Tuchman Papers, and other items in the Indiana Historical Society Collections.
The Indianapolis Women's Oral History Project (initially known as The Gathering Oral History Project) was organized in 2013 by the members of The Gathering and conducted with the assistance and supervision of the Indiana Historical Society. The Gathering is an informal networking group of professional women that started meeting around 1990. The group aimed to bring together women leaders in the fields of business, education, law, philanthropy, politics, and religion. This collection of oral histories includes the stories of these prominent Indiana women.
The Latino and Hispanic Heritage Collection contains images and documents from people who immigrated to Indiana from Mexico and Puerto Rico as well as Central and South American Countries. These materials document the experiences of families who came to the United States seeking new opportunities in work and education.
Madam C.J. Walker was a self-made businesswoman who became a national figure and philanthropist. In 1910, she moved to Indianapolis, setting up a factory and beauty school. The collection contains the personal and business papers of Madam Walker, A’Lelia Walker, Freeman B. Ransom and others who worked for the company, records relating to operations and the beauty schools and agents, and materials from businesses located in the Walker Building in Indianapolis. This digital collection is a sample of the materials found in the collection.
James Otto Lewis accompanied government treaty negotiators in the 1820s to make portraits of the Native Americans attending. In 1835 and 1836, Lewis published The Aboriginal Port Folio, with the first eight plates appearing in May 1835. These portraits were the first such images ever to be published. Subsequent parts appeared monthly, but the project bankrupted Lewis in 1836. The ninth and 10th parts were issued in much smaller press runs. IHS’s set contains all 80 plates as well as the lithographed title leaf, a one-leaf “Advertisement,” and one leaf of reviews.
The South Asia Heritage Collection contains images, documents, and audio from people who immigrated to Indiana from Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, Maldives, Nepal, India, Pakistan, and Sri Lanka. These materials document the experiences of families who came to the United States seeking new opportunities in work and education.
The Southeast Asia Heritage Collection contains images and documents from people who immigrated to Indiana from Brunei, Cambodia, East Timor, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, Vietnam. These materials document the experiences of families who came to the United States seeking new opportunities in work and education.
The Women's History digital collection contains photographs, documents, and other materials from Indiana Historical Society archival collections that pertain to the history of women's rights and interests in Indiana. Some of the collections represented in this digital collection include Indianapolis Woman's Club Records, League of Women Voters of Indiana Records, Propylaeum Records, as well as other organizational records and personal papers such as those of May Wright Sewall. Materials date from the late 1800s through the present day.
The African American Arts Institute (AAAI) is the nation's first and only credit-bearing university program dedicated to the performance and promotion of Black music and dance. An ongoing project, the Archives has partnered with AAAI to scan and add their photograph collection to the Archives photo database. The collection includes photographs, negatives, and born digital images dating from 1977.
The IU Archives holds a vast photograph and negative collection that comprises approximately two-million images. The majority of these were shot by Indiana University’s Photographic Services Department, Athletic Department, and News Bureau. The remaining images were shot mostly by local professional photographers, alumni, and faculty.
The Indiana University Bicentennial Oral History Project began in 2008 with volunteers from the Office of the President and Indiana University Archives interviewing alumni from IU Bloomington. The project was staffed through the Office of the Bicentennial in 2016 and expanded to interviewing alumni, faculty, and staff at all Indiana University campuses. The mission of this project is to record, preserve, and make available to future generations the memories and experiences of IU alumni, faculty, and staff university-wide. Capturing an institutional history of IU that is not written solely from the perspective of administrators, with a focus on documenting underrepresented voices, helps to provide a better understanding of the broader history of Indiana University.
For oral history interviews featuring African-Americans at Indiana University, it is recommend that you use similar search terms like the following: African-American, Black American, and person of color, etc.
Black Focus was a newsletter published in the early 1980s by the Black Culture Center. The purpose of the newsletter was to provide more responsible coverage of Black campus news and to establish communication among Black students.
Martha Jeannette Vicinus was a faculty member of the Indiana University English Department from 1968-1982. Her papers comprise 1 cubic foot and span the period of 1971-1980. Consists largely of newsletters, flyers, pamphlets, minutes, form letters, mass mailings, interdepartmental memos, and a small amount of personal correspondence relating to the activities of American Federation of Teachers Bloomington local, women's movement in Bloomington, the creation of Women's Studies program at Indiana University, and the Modern Language Association Radical Caucus. Items are arranged chronologically within each series.
Sarah Parke Morrison became the first woman admitted to Indiana University in 1867. Collection consists correspondence as well as a handwritten account of Morrison's entrance and experience as the first female student at IU and a small pamphlet of Morrison's poetry published in 1912.
Rosa Smith Eigenmann was an internationally known ichthyologist and the first librarian of the San Diego Society of Natural History. She wrote numerous articles of her studies and was considered an authority on fish. Eigenmann did not let her gender prevent her from accomplishing anything she set out to do. Some sources indicate she was the first woman to enter Harvard; the first woman to be the president of the I.U. chapter of Sigma Xi, an honorary science society; and the first woman to determine a new species of fish.
Mary Geraldine Hatt studied history at Indiana University and went on to complete an MA in International Relations before teaching social studies in South Bend, Indiana. Her international experience includes serving in the American Red Cross Hospital in Europe and receiving the first Fulbright Scholarship for travel to South Africa. Her papers consist of correspondence beginning with her freshman year at I.U., various materials relating to Miss Hatt's time in South Africa as a Fulbright Scholar, and travel diaries which record her frequent trips throughout the world.
The Wylie family represented in this collection are all family members or descendents of Indiana University's first president, Andrew Wylie. Many of the earliest family members were closely associated with the university themselves. The collection includes correspondence, financial records, newspaper clippings, obituaries, academic records, journals, scrapbooks, drawings, and poetry. In addition to family affairs, the collection includes information about Indiana University and Bloomington, Indiana, including land deeds and a 19th century account book from Bloomington's McCalla store.
The Indiana University Cosmopolitan Club was founded in 1916 and received its charter from the Corda Fratres Association of Cosmopolitan Clubs in 1918. The Club was dedicated to fostering understanding and fraternity between foreign and American students in order to promote international cooperation and peace. The collection consists of correspondence, programs, financial records, membership lists, and newspaper clippings. Also included are publications, including issues of the Club newsletter, the Cosmo reporter.
Founded on 12 December 1947 by Mrs. Herman T. Briscoe, the purpose of Gateway (General Association of Teachers, Employees, Wives, Administrators of the Yooniversity) was to promote sociability among the members of the entire University family. Membership was available to all women who were employed in any capacity by the University, to wives and other homemakers of persons employed by the university, and to all retired persons and widows who were eligible at the time of their retirement or widowhood. This collection contains one series arranged chronologically, Administrative files. Contained within this series are the Gateway Club minutes, the Presidents books, and a financial notice regarding the withdrawal of Gateway Club funds from the Indiana University Credit Union.
Pi Lambda Theta was founded in 1910 as an honor and professional association for women in education. In 1920, the Iota chapter was chartered at Indiana University. In 1974, the organization began admitting men. Collection consists of minutes, a ledger book, constitutions, membership information, publications, and scrapbooks.
The mission of the Indiana University LGBTQ+ Culture Center, formerly named GLBT Student Support Services, is to provide information, support, mentoring, and counseling to members of the IU campus and the larger community. The IU LGBTQ+ Culture Center seeks to fulfill their mission through networks, collaboration, education, and outreach in an attempt to create a climate where all members of the community are encouraged to promote and defend diversity. The collection consists of records relating to campus programming, speakers and events, conferences, groups, and office administration. There are also scrapbooks documenting GLBT issues on campus and the LGBTQ+ Culture Center.
This small collection consists entirely of Mrs. Ridenour’s diary and two scrapbooks, which primarily date from her time as a student at Indiana University. The diary is “A Line a Day” and spans January 1, 1920 through the beginning of 1924. Ridenour wrote a short entry most days and many entries talk about her social plans, e.g., fraternity and sorority activities (she was in Pi Beta Phi), hanging out at the Book Nook, and her many dates.
Established in 1895 as the Women’s League, the Indiana University Association of Women Students worked to give an official voice to women students. The collection consists of meeting minutes, budgets, handbooks, program and issues files, and general administrative records of the organization.
An all-female organization, the Pleiades was founded on Indiana University Bloomington’s campus on September 24, 1921. The group initially was formed to organize various social events but expanded and became an established organization on campus after its initial successes. Membership was limited to 25 women who excelled both academically and socially. Collection consists of one minute book documenting activities and members from 1926-1943.
The Hesperian Society was established by women at Indiana University on October 28, 1870. The goal of the literary society was to provide an organization dedicated to creating social and cultural activities for IU women students. The Collection consists of one record book consisting of by-laws, constitutions and meeting minutes along with their debate topics and administrative planning for events. The collection also includes documentation on the society's exhibit programs and anniversary celebrations.
The Edgeworthalean Society was a ladies’ literary society founded in 1841 by twelve women of Monroe County in Bloomington, Indiana, and was named after the English author, Maria Edgeworth. The goal of the society was to cultivate and improve the minds of the women through recitations, composition arguments, reading, writing, diction, analyzing sentences, and so on. Each meeting a question for debate was posed and roles assigned for the next meeting. The society met on a weekly basis in the Monroe County Female Seminary which was founded for women in 1818. The date of the last recorded meeting minutes was June 14, 1844. There is no indication of why the society ended. The collection consists of one minute book containing the society’s constitution, by-laws, and meeting minutes.
The Alumni Office's War Service Register contains records and photographs relating to the men and women of Indiana University who served in a U.S. war between 1860 and 1945 (i.e., the Mexican War, the Civil War, the Spanish-American War, the first World War, or the second World War).
Indiana University's Collins Living-Learning Center (LLC) was established in 1972 - one of the first in the country - in the Men's Residence Center (MRC). Eventually the LLC took over the entire MRC and was renamed after IU professor and administrator Ralph L. Collins. It has since expanded to include “The Hill,” Brown and Greene, and Hillcrest (apartments for juniors and seniors). The Collins community is intentionally academically diverse, and students pursue majors across the university. Collins is host to a wide variety of programs and events planned through one of many student groups such as the Board of Education Programming (BOEP), Arts Council, Community Council, and the Board of Programmers (BOP), or as student Q projects through CLLC-Q 199: Residential Learning Workshop. The materials in the Collection represent both the administrative and student aspects of the Collins Living-Learning Center.
Born in 1897, Helen Dale Hopkins entered Indiana University as a freshman in the fall of 1915. She was an active member of the Classical Club, Browning Society, Pi Beta Phi, and was elected to the student honorary Phi Beta Kappa. She graduated with an A.B. in Latin with Distinction in 1918. Following graduation, she married Donald Wampler in 1928 and retired as a Latin teacher from Ben Davis High School in 1963. This collection consists primarily of correspondence between Helen and her mother during her time as a student at Indiana University during WWI.
Edna Hatfield Edmondson was a faculty member in the Indiana University Extension Division from 1919 through 1942. This collection consists of letters that Edmondson wrote to Frank R. Elliott, Director of Publicity at IU, while she was on a trip to Japan with the Indiana University baseball team in April-May 1922.
Charles Weever Cushman, amateur photographer and Indiana University alumnus, bequeathed approximately 14,500 Kodachrome color slides to his alma mater. The photographs in this collection bridge a thirty-two year span from 1938 to 1969, during which time he extensively documented the United States as well as other countries. Large sections of the collection document urban architecture and community life in cities such as Chicago, San Francisco and New Orleans.
The Spectator began its existence as a weekly student newspaper in January 1966, when it was recognized as a registered Indiana University organization by the I.U. Board of Student Publications. This charter was revoked by the university administration in 1968, but the paper remained in publication as an independent paper in Bloomington, Indiana until 1970.
What began as a two-page church bulletin by co-founders George P. Stewart and Will Porter, The Indianapolis Recorder Newspaper now hails as one of the top African-American publications in the nation. In 1897, the co-founders of the newspaper decided to expand their already successful newssheet into a weekly newspaper. The earliest existing issues of the Recorder dates to 1899.
The Black History, Indianapolis History digital archive owes its existence to the dedication of the Indianapolis community to preserve and share family history. Thanks to a grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities (NEH) between 2018 and 2019, seven community cultural heritage preservation events were held at Indianapolis Public Library branches around the city. These Scan-A-Thons invited community members to bring family photos and memorabilia to be scanned, recorded, and made publicly available in the Black History, Indianapolis History digital archive by Indianapolis Public Library staff. The Indianapolis Public Library plans to continue to host Scan-A-Thons at branches and in the greater community. If you would be interested in learning more, please contact email@example.com.
People of interest in this collection include Elder Watson Diggs, Dr. Earle Robinson Senior and Junior, Crispus Attucks alumni and Indianapolis African-American Firefighters.
The objective of the Indianapolis Public Library African American History Committee is to present the diverse accomplishments and heritage of African Americans to the general public. The AAHC was created in 1978 by Elizabeth Levy, and was sponsored by Celia (Cathy) Gibson. Early signature events included film festivals and "An Afternoon with..." featuring famous authors, actors, and historians. Meet the Artists and the Family Fall Fest are perhaps the AAHC's best known events. Meet the Artists occurs every spring, and Family Fall Fest in November.
Between 2012 and 2013, the FAMILIES TALK Oral History recorded the school memories of 195 past and present students, parents and grandparents with Indianapolis Public Schools (IPS) and charter school experiences. The goal was to explore how school experiences differ between people, places and times. The result is a vivid record of eight decades of urban life, from segregation to busing to school choice and re-segregation. Narrators range in age from 15 to 94 and represent diverse ethnicities, communities and careers. Janitors, scientists, teachers, cooks and many more have their say. Their stories illuminate trends in K-12 education, as well as the impacts of individual differences, resources, relationships, reputations (including prejudices), population shifts, social upheaval and countless other variables.
Half of FAMILIES TALK histories are available now, with more to come in 2016. While every effort was made to capture narrators’ words and syntax accurately, typos remain in this all-volunteer project. For a few stories, pseudonyms were requested.
This digital collection was launched on the BACI's fifth anniversary in order to further its objectives of advocacy and education. The collection includes various publications from the BACI such as quarterly newsletters, a community integration guide, and documentaries. Each work focuses upon the Burmese community in Indianapolis, as well as some of the programs that the BACI has implemented in order to serve this community. It is the belief of the BACI that each of these materials provides tremendous value not only to the Burmese community in Indianapolis, but also to the Indianapolis area as a whole. In addition, these resources also are relevant to refugee and migration issues at various levels, as migration impacts local, national, and global systems. The BACI emphasizes the importance of education for the successful integration and ultimately building stronger communities, and this digital collection was created in order to help meet this objective as a shared goal of the Central Indiana as well as the global society as a whole.
La Voz de Indiana Bilingual Newspaper serves all communities by concentrating on the Hispanic and American markets. As the "only" bilingual publication in the state of Indiana , La Voz is published in both Spanish and English. Their goals are to Embrace Diversity by promoting understanding and improve communication between people.
La Voz de Indiana was founded in 1999 by Liliana Hamnik, with the idea to educate and inform our growing Latin-American Community, and establish a reputation of being a trusted liaison. La Voz distribution covers Indianapolis, the surrounding donut counties, as well as almost every major city in the state.
The Fort Wayne Free Press was an alternative newspaper published from 1970-1974. It’s stated purpose was “to seek out and disseminate to the public news and opinions on social issues relating to the Fort Wayne community and to act in the supporting role of community organization for individuals and groups in the community.” It covered a wide range of topics of particular interest to students at the time.
This collection of oral histories includes interviews with African American alumni and employees of Ball State University between 1950 and 2017. Interviews were conducted and recorded by Ball State University Honors College and Public History students in 2015 and 2017.
On March 26, 1991, the Asian American Student Association (AASA) was approved to become a student organization. The AASA was originally located in the Multicultural Center. The reorganization of the Multicultural Center in 2000 relocated the group to the Office of Student Life, the clearing house for all recognized student organizations. During the Spring Semester of 2021, the AASA changed its name to the Asian Student Union (ASU).
This collection includes material pertaining to the history and activities of Spectrum. The student organization’s mission is to educate the ball State and Muncie communities on gender, sexual, and romantic minority (GSRM) issues, cultures, and history through various programming efforts.
The Facing Project is a nonprofit organization that brings awareness to national issues such as racism, addiction, poverty, homophobia, and disabilities by creating a collection of stories that reflect the everyday struggles of individual living these realities.
The Middletown Digital Oral History collection consists of audio and accompanying transcriptions for oral history interviews conducted with African American, Jewish and Catholic communities of Muncie, Indiana. In addition to the value of these "personal narratives" illuminating lives of Indiana citizens, the oral history collections selected for this collection provide research material on populations that were neglected in the seminal studies published by sociologists Robert and Helen Lynd in the 1920s using Muncie as Middletown, a representative American community.
The Middletown Women's History Collection provides access to archival materials documenting the experiences of women and women's organizations in Muncie, Indiana from the 1880s through the 1930s. It includes diaries, minutes, correspondence, photographs and other documents selected from the wealth of resources available in Ball State University Libraries Archives and Special Collections.
The Muncie LGBTQ+ History Project is an ongoing effort to document and preserve the history of sexual minorities (including, but not limited to: lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans, and queer folks) in Muncie and Delaware County. The collection includes oral history interviews as well as donated archival materials.
The Muncie Times Newspaper collection consists of volumes of the newspaper published by owner and publisher Bea Moten-Foster since 1991. This bi-weekly publication serves the African American communities of Muncie, Richmond, Marion, New Castle and Anderson, Indiana.
The Muslims in Muncie Oral Histories and Documentary Film collection contains twenty-two life history interviews with Muslims in Muncie, Indiana, and the hour-long documentary, Muslims in Muncie, recipient of the 2019 Award for Oral History in a Non-Print Format from the Oral History Association.
The Other Side of Middletown Collection, consisting of over 150 digital images, illustrates the history of the life and achievements of African Americans in Muncie and Delaware County through photographs donated by members of the community. The collection was the product of a collaborative project undertaken in 2003-04 involving Hurley Goodall, Eric Lassister, Elizabeth Campbell, Michelle Natasya Johnson, and a group of Ball State student, working with the local African American community resulting in the publication of The Other Side of Middletown: Exploring Muncie's African American Community.
The Temple Beth-El Records includes board meeting minutes, monthly bulletins, membership directories, photographs, and other records documenting the history of the Temple Beth-El congregation in Muncie, Indiana between 1922 and 2013.
The Allen Williams Ball State University Black Alumni Collection provides access to a collection of scrapbooks, photographs, newsletters, and videos donated by Allen L. Williams, Class of 1973, documenting the lives and activities of members of the black student and black alumni communities at Ball State University.
o This digital collection includes records documenting the work of the Human Relations Council of Delaware County between 1962 and 1984. The Human Relations Council of Delaware County was a voluntary community organization with open membership formed in 1963 to advocate for equality in employment, housing, education, and public accommodation regardless of a person’s race, creed, or place of origin.
o This digital collection includes correspondence, reports, and other records ranging from 1964-1988 regarding Muncie Human Rights Commission appointments and initiatives. The Muncie Human Rights Commission was created in 1964 for the purpose of studying the problems of discrimination in the city and advocating for equality in education, employment, youth recreation, and housing. This subject-based digital collection is comprised of records from multiple archival collections.
Born from the efforts of Indiana University South Bend students and professors, the Civil Rights Heritage Center transformed a once segregated city swimming pool into an active learning center. It explores the civil rights struggles of the past so people can take action in the present and build a better future.