Before becoming president of Indiana University, Herman B Wells served as an assistant cashier at the National Bank of Lebanon before going on to work for the Indiana Bankers Association, the Indiana Commission for Financial Institutions, and the Indiana Department of Financial Institutions. He was named dean of the Indiana University School of Business administration in 1935 by IU President William Lowe Bryan. In 1937 he was named acting president of the university and president the following year, a position he held until 1962. Upon his retirement, IU created the position of University Chancellor, which Dr. Wells held until his death in 2000. This collection consists of Wells’ personal papers and includes papers pertaining to his family and personal finances, his activities in the banking profession, his work in Germany for the United States government after World War II, and to his research and teaching and professional activities as a member of the faculty of Indiana University.
* Note "Appointment/social event record books"
The Dean of Women’s Office at Indiana University was created in 1901. Duties of the office covered all aspects of coed’s lives, from the classroom to a social environment. The collection consists of administrative files created by the Dean of Women’s office from 1917-1945.
* Note files on "Prohibition," "Red Cross," "War," "Dargan House," "College Women and the War," and more
The first president of what was then Indiana College was elected by the Board of Trustees in 1829. Herman B Wells was named interim president in 1937 and president in 1938, a position he held until 1962. Collection consists primarily of correspondence, reports, and publications. A particularly rich collection, correspondence is to and from Wells and other high ranking university administrators. The files are arranged alphabetically.
* Note folders on "Association of Women students," "Cincinnati Reds (Baseball)," "Victory gardens," "Subversive Teaching Report," " Japanese Students," and more
The first president of what was then Indiana College was elected by the Board of Trustees in 1829. Joseph L. Sutton came to IU as an instructor in the Dept. of Political Science in 1955 and continued to advance until he came to serve as the thirteenth president of Indiana University from 1968-1971. The collection consists of records created or collected during Sutton's tenure as Indiana University president.
* Note folders on "Athletics, football boycott letters received," " Black students," and more
William Lowe Bryan served as president of Indiana University 1902-1937. This collection consists almost entirely of incoming correspondence from the years 1913-1937. The files are arranged alphabetically, most often by the correspondent’s surname, but also by subject or by name of the institution or department. The majority of the correspondence is addressed to Bryan but much of it is also addressed to other high ranking IU administrators such as Registrar John W. Cravens or University Secretary Ulysses Howe Smith.
* Note folders on "Intercollegiate Prohibition Association," "Baseball Team Trip to Japan," "Degner, Lorena," "Influenza, correspondence regarding," "Olmsted Brothers Campus plan," and more
The first president of what was then Indiana College was elected by the Board of Trustees in 1829. Elvis J. Stahr, Jr. served as president of Indiana University from 1962-1968. Collection consists of records created or collected by the Indiana University Office of the President during Elvis Stahr's tenure, and includes correspondence, studies, and reports documenting the various administrative processes, committees, events and university departments and schools during this period.
* Note folders on "Black Student Demands ," Civil Defense," "Committee for Equality of Higher Educational Opportunity," and more
The Inter-University Committee on Travel Grants (IUCTG) was established in the 1950s to administer academic exchanges between the US and the Soviet Union and East Europe. For a period in its early years, the IUCTG was headquartered at Indiana University and chaired by IU professor Robert Byrnes until 1968, when it was absorbed by the International Research and Exchanges Board and moved to New York. This collection consists of correspondence, conference and meeting materials, and reports.
The Alumni Office's War Service Register contains records relating to the men and women of Indiana University who served in a U.S. war between 1860 and 1945 (i.e., the Mexican War, the Civil War, the Spanish-American War, the first World War, or the second World War).
* Note info on Tuskegee Airmen Charles DeBow in "Davison—Deckard", and more
This collection consists of a mostly-complete run of the Indiana University News-Letter from 1913 to 1945. The newsletter, originally titled Alumni News-Letter of Indiana University, was a monthly publication primarily used to communicate Indiana University news with alumni.
* Note ""What the Germans Say and Do","“Recipes for Winning the War in the Kitchen," ""Careers for Women," and more
The Department of Athletics was officially established by the Board of Trustees in 1933 upon the dismantling of its predecessor, the Athletic Board of Control, which existed as early as 1917. The collection consists of Manager Books for Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country and Track, Football, Gymnastics, Swimming, and Wrestling from 1922-1971.
Martha Jeannette Vicinus was a faculty member of the Indiana University English Department from 1968-1982. Her papers comprise newsletters, flyers, pamphlets, minutes, form letters, mass mailings, interdepartmental memos, and a small amount of personal correspondence relating to the activities of American Federation of Teachers Bloomington local, women's movement in Bloomington, the creation of Women's Studies program at Indiana University, and the Modern Language Association Radical Caucus.
NOTE: See "Front Page newsletter" folders
Sarah Parke Morrison became the first woman admitted to Indiana University in 1867. Collection consists of personal papers of Sarah Parke Morrison in three series: Correspondence, 1897-1913, consisting primarily of outgoing correspondence. Frequent correspondents include former Indiana University President William Lowe Bryan and Registrar John W. Cravens. The correspondence all dates from the years after she left IU and much of it discusses her desire that women become members of the various University boards. Schedules, 1855-1856, consists of a single schedule of a typical day for Morrison at the Western Female College; and Writings, 1911-1912, includes a handwritten account of Morrison's entrance and experience as the first female student at IU and a small pamphlet of Morrison's poetry published in 1912.
Retiring from long careers in urban ministry and social work in 1934, Indiana University alumni Frank O. Beck and his wife Daisy returned to their alma mater to serve as unofficial counselors to the student body and the administration. Collection consists of correspondence, research, publications, biographical material, and records relating to their gift of previous Beck Chapel. Prominent in the collection are Frank’s research and writing on race relations, aging, and social and economic equality in Chicago.
NOTE: See the "Japanese Student Relocation, 1942" folder
Mary Geraldine Hatt studied history at Indiana University and went on to complete an MA in International Relations before teaching social studies in South Bend, Indiana. Her international experience includes serving in the American Red Cross Hospital in Europe and receiving the first Fulbright Scholarship for travel to South Africa. Her papers consist of correspondence beginning with her freshman year at I.U., various materials relating to Miss Hatt's time in South Africa as a Fulbright Scholar, and travel diaries which record her frequent trips throughout the world.
Wayne County, Indiana resident Pauline Montgomery spent most of her life as a Latin and English teacher. The Indiana University alumna was also a local historian and author of one book, Indiana Coverlet Weavers and Their Coverlets. This collection consists of Montgomery’s approximately sixteen-hundred photos and negatives of Indiana tombstones and the accompanying ledgers documenting their appearance, locations, and placement dates.
A graduate of Indiana University, Ernest P. Bicknell is best known for his work with the American Red Cross, most notably during the First World War. His humanitarian service earned him great respect and numerous awards from European governments. The collection contains material related to his Red Cross service in Europe, including scrapbooks, newspaper clippings, photographs, and two awards.
NOTE: See "Red Cross" scrapbook
Sally Lied received her M.S. in Education from Indiana University in 1963, her Ed.D in 1972 and J.D. in 1974. She also worked for the university as a residential counselor at Foster Quadrangle and later director of the Foster Project. This collection includes materials pertaining to social movements and residential programs at IU in the late 1960s, as well as materials from Robert F. Kennedy's presidential campaign in 1968.
John D. Alexander was born on February 6, 1839 in Bloomington, Indiana. He graduated from Indiana University in 1861 and served in the Union Army from 1862-1865. He practiced law in Bedford and Bloomfield, Indiana between 1867 and 1911. He also served as the Prosecuting Attorney of the Fourteenth and Fifteenth Judicial Circuits as well as the Greene County Representative in the Indiana General Assembly. The collection consists of letters from the battlefield, family photographs, news clippings, a scrapbook, military artifacts, and notes pertaining to the Dunn and Alexander family history.
Leon Varjian (1951-2015) was a graduate student at Indiana University from 1972-1975, known primarily for his comedic news publications such as Fun City and his organized antics on the IU campus. He ran for mayor of Bloomington in 1973 and IU Trustee in 1976, though his campaign platforms were humorous and satirical. After his time in Bloomington, Varjian attended University of Wisconsin-Madison, where he continued similar political theatre antics and produced a successful local access cable television show called Vern & Evelyn through 1984. This collection contains his personal papers, including documents and memorabilia from his mayoral campaign, flyers from his social events, notes and drafts, newspapers and clippings, and correspondence, and materials from Vern & Evelyn. Varjian was the publisher of the alternative news journal Fun City and also participated in the production of Primotimes, both of which are featured in this collection.
Dr. Gerardo M. Gonzalez is Dean Emeritus and Professor of Educational Leadership and Policy Studies at the Indiana University School of Education. In 1962, when Gonzalez was eleven years old, he and his family immigrated to the United States as refugees from Cuba. The first in his family to graduate from college, Gonzalez has since become a prominent academic leader in the United States and a proponent for higher education leadership, healthy campus environments, and Latino educational concerns. The papers and photos in this collection relate to Gonzalez’s upbringing and his family’s emigration from Cuba to the United States in the early 1960s, as well as Gonzalez' education and academic appointments. Many of the materials in this collection are reproduced or referenced in Gonzalez’s 2018 memoir A Cuban Refugee’s Journey to the American Dream: The Power of Education.
Malcolm L. Fleming is a retired Indiana University Professor of Education. From 1942-1944 he served in the U.S. Army Signal Corps, and in 1945 he became an Official Army Photographer. During his time as Official Army Photographer, Fleming also used his own personal camera to shoot a small collection of approximately 500 images.
One of the two chief literary societies on campus, the Athenian Society was founded at Indiana University in 1830. Literary societies gave students practice in speaking and writing through regular orations, essays, and debates, as well as filling a social role. Collection consists of minutes, correspondence, publications, addresses, and announcements. The Publication series includes copies of the Athenian, a monthly periodical of writings submitted by members of the Athenian Society that were of "a high literary character," including what the editors considered "chaste and elevated literature." These span December 1845 through November 1846. Most prominent in the collection are the minutes from the weekly meeting of the Society.
The Indiana University Student Senate was formed in 1948 due in large part to the influence of IU President Herman B Wells. The Student Senate was charged with upholding the ideals proclaimed in the Student Government Constitution. This collection is predominantly comprised of administrative files such as meetings minutes, bills and resolutions, and subject files covering the period 1938 through 1979.
* Note folders on "Civil Defense Monroe County Fallout shelter," "R.O.T.C." and more
The Indiana University Cosmopolitan Club was founded in 1916 and received its charter from the Corda Fratres Association of Cosmopolitan Clubs in 1918. The Club was dedicated to fostering understanding and fraternity between foreign and American students in order to promote international cooperation and peace. The collection consists of correspondence, programs, financial records, membership lists, and newspaper clippings. Also included are publications, including issues of the Club newsletter, the Cosmo reporter.
Eggshell Press was the name of the mimeograph machine housed in the spare bedroom of Carol B. Chittenden and her husband from fall 1967 to August 1968. During this time, most of the flyers and memorandum that were passed out during and after demonstrations, rallies, vigils, and marches on Indiana University's Bloomington campus were printed on the Eggshell Press. Collection consists primarily of publications printed by the Press.
Ralph J. Garriott graduated from Indiana University in 1927. This collection consists solely of Garriott’s diary maintained during his freshman year at Indiana University, 1923-1924.Devoted to his journal, Ralph wrote daily with entries detailing his classes, friends, happenings outside of class, as well as news from home and elsewhere. Ralph seemed to be interested in many of the popular happenings on campus, so in addition to talk about his classes, there are entries about athletic events (IU-Purdue football and burial of Jawn Purdue), dances (“Blanket Hop”), freshman-sophomore scraps, serenades, and popular movies (“My Wild Irish Rose”).
The Student Religious Cabinet existed as a student group at Indiana University from 1938 to at least 1951. The Student Religious Cabinet’s purpose was to promote interest in religion, bring about fellowship among students of diverse religious affiliations, and sponsor activities meant to counteract religious and racial tensions. The collection contains meeting notes and attendance records from 1938 to 1951 and publications including The Voice of Religion on Indiana University Campus, Communique, pamphlets from a War-Time Victory for Brotherhood program held from 1943 until 1945, and the Campus Home Front , another student publication concerned with the war effort, published in 1943.
This small collection consists entirely of Mrs. Ridenour’s diary and two scrapbooks, which primarily date from her time as a student at Indiana University. The diary is “A Line a Day” and spans January 1, 1920 through the beginning of 1924. Ridenour wrote a short entry most days and many entries talk about her social plans, e.g., fraternity and sorority activities (she was in Pi Beta Phi), hanging out at the Book Nook, and her many dates.
William R. Ringer graduated from Indiana University in 1920. This small collection consists of papers of William Ringer that date chiefly from his time as a student at Indiana University. Included are diaries, letters, report cards, and writings from his time as a member of the IU Writers Club. Most prominent in the collection are the 11 volumes of diaries he maintained while a student, which span 1916-1920. Ringer writes frequently and at length about his campus activities, fellow students, and professors. His sophomore year, he joined the Student Army Training Corp and he writes about “the barracks” (actually fraternity housing that was appropriated for the SATC), their training, and the 1918 Spanish Flu outbreak and the resulting quarantine of the men and campus community. Unfortunately, Ringer himself did not escape the flu, but he did recover, unlike a number of the flu victims that year.
Published from 1923 until 1931, primarily as a bi-monthly publication with some interruption, The vagabond featured the poetry, visual art, essays, criticism, short stories and humor which targeted not only Indiana University's undergraduates, but also its alumni and prominent members of the faculty.
The Bored Walk was a student magazine published at Indiana University beginning in 1931. It was initially published under the faculty supervision of Deans C.E. Edmondson and Agnes Wells and featured humorous articles, poetry, stories, cartoons, and campus news. Publication ceased in 1942.
The Union Board serves as the governing body for the Indiana Memorial Union, which organizes various events and activities for students on the Indiana University Bloomington campus. Established in 1909, the Union Board has since developed into the largest student programming body at Indiana University. The Collection consists of scrapbooks which were created by staff annually from 1932 to the present.
Certainly not the literature parents expected their sons and daughters to read at the university, The Date was filled with all things youth culture on campus. The Date was a student humor magazine first published in March 1946 which was filled with quips between sororities and fraternities on campus, pictures of those recently "pinned," funny cartoons, and short stories. The last known issue was released in November 1947.
The Dagger was started by members of Indiana University’s Beta Theta Pi fraternity and reviewed professors, commenting not only upon their teaching abilities but also their personalities. Available in single issues for 50 cents, The Dagger was only published once a year and appears to have been a student fixture from June 1875-June 1880. During that time, noted faculty included such well-known names as T.A. Wylie, Daniel Kirkwood, and Elisha Ballantine. Along with citing the abilities of different professors, the writers of the papers had no problem with discussing the merits and demerits of their fellow students.
This collection consists of an incomplete run of 42 issues of the Crimson Bull, a student humor magazine published by the Indiana University chapter of Sigma Delta Chi from 1947-1956. The IU chapter of Sigma Delta Chi, a professional journalistic fraternity, was established in 1914.
Delmas E. Aldridge was a member of the Indiana University wrestling team from 1929-1932. He collected newspaper articles, photographs, and correspondence related to the team and compiled the materials into a scrapbook.
Born in 1897, Helen Dale Hopkins entered Indiana University as a freshman in the fall of 1915. She was an active member of the Classical Club, Browning Society, Pi Beta Phi, and was elected to the student honorary Phi Beta Kappa. She graduated with an A.B. in Latin with Distinction in 1918. Following graduation, she married Donald Wampler in 1928 and retired as a Latin teacher from Ben Davis High School in 1963. This collection consists primarily of correspondence between Helen and her mother during her time as a student at Indiana University.
The Veteran was an independent bi-weekly newspaper published by students at Indiana University from Spring 1946 to Fall 1947. This paper focused on providing incoming and current veterans with information that was specific to them, while also addressing current events and functions on campus. Topics included student life in trailer housing, updates on the G.I. Bill regulations, social events, veterans in sports, and educational assistance.
The IU Archives holds a vast photograph collection that comprises approximately two-million images. The majority of these were shot by Indiana University’s Photographic Services Department, Athletic Department, and News Bureau. The remaining images were shot mostly by local professional photographers, alumni, and faculty. Nearly all of the images document the history of Indiana University.
Includes audio and film records from repositories across the IU campus. From the IU Archives this includes films of the Little 500, the home movies of Herman B Wells, and more. I'd also encourage you to check out the film "Your Daughter at IU."